September 9, 2018
Wisdom for the Week
If you don’t have all the wisdom needed for this journey, then all you have to do is ask God for it; and God will grant all that you need. God gives lavishly and never scolds you for asking. James 1.5
Call to worship
Praise to the Lord, the Almighty HWB 37
I sing the mighty power of God HWB 46
Long before my journey’s start SJ 36
Introduction of James
Speak, O Lord
Offering & coin offering*
Now go in peace SJ 74
A supervised nursery for children 5 and under is across from the washrooms. Supervisors are Pam Carter and Sarah Winter. A quieter unsupervised nursery is available in Room 113 (office hallway).
Leading Us In Worship:
Preservice, offertory, postlude – Sing The Journey
Worship leader – Kim Lichti
Pianist – Susan Seyler
Song leader – Norma Iutzi
Children’s time – Joy Wagler
Sermon – Pastor Myrna Miller Dyck
Congregational prayer – Pastor Steve Drudge
Thanks to Sarah Godfrey, Ryan Roth, and Joy Wagler, who helped plan our fall worship series.
*Coin Offering – Toothpaste for Mennonite Central Committee hygiene and relief kits.
Coffee, tea & juice available in the fellowship hall following the service.
10:30 – 11:45 a.m. – Children’s Christian education (preschool to grade 7) lower auditorium. Theme: Everyone has a part to play in God’s story.
– Youth (grade 8 & up) – lower auditorium room # 004
– Adult Christian education – sermon discussion. Meeting in the sanctuary.
Noon – Potluck! All are welcome.
Monday – church office closed.
World Suicide Prevention Day Commemoration at the Wilmot Recreation Centre.
7-8 p.m. – free skate; 8:15 p.m. – candlelight walk through Schmidt Woods
7:00 p.m. – Finance Committee meets in room 111.
4-7 p.m. – Wilmot Summer Market in the east parking lot.
7 p.m. – Tri-County Choir rehearsal in the fellowship hall.
9:30 a.m. – Preservice music
9:45 a.m. – Scripture: James 1:19-27.
Sermon: Can we listen?
Speaker: Pastor Steve Drudge
10:30 a.m. – Children’s Christian education (preschool to grade 7.)
11:15 a.m. – Youth (grade 8 & up) & Adult Christian education.
2:30 p.m. – Tri-County Mennonite Homes service of celebration, commemorating 50 years. Event takes place in the fellowship hall.
Former and present board, staff, volunteers, family and friends are invited to join a choir. Rehearsals held at the church on Thurs. Sept.13, 7 p.m. and Sun. Sept. 16, 1:30 p.m. To sign up call Norma Iutzi at 519.662.2280, ext.5115 or email@example.com.
Watch your email for the next upcoming event or talk to Pastor Sara.
Sept. 17-22 (Mon.-Sat.) – Peace Week. Take part in peace-related events and initiatives in Waterloo Region. uwaterloo.ca/peace-week
Sept. 18 (Tues.) 7:00 p.m. – You are invited to the Tri-County Mennonite Homes Annual Meeting at Avon Mennonite Church, 90 Greenwood Crt., Stratford. Refreshments and fellowship will follow the meeting. Booklets are available on the table between the church mailboxes.
Sept. 20 (Thurs.) 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. – Courage for Caregivers retreat at Ignatius Jesuit Centre in Guelph. Cost: $75. Register: www.eventrbrite.com. See bulletin board or talk to our Parish Nurse, Ardys Brenneman.
Sept. 21-23 – Theatre of the Beat. Nine playwrights from across North America have each written a scene to explore the realities of sexual misconduct, power, and abuse within our church communities. At Conrad Centre for the Performing Arts, 36 King St. W., Kitchener. Tickets: $16 on-line from the Conrad Centre or call 519.745.4711 x1.
Sept. 22 (Sat.) 12—4 p.m. -Tri County Mennonite Homes Reunion in the Steinmann Mennonite Church fellowship hall.
Sept. 22 (Sat.) – 10,000 Steps for Shalom, a fundraising walk/run for mental health. Sign up as an individual or a team at shalomcounselling.org or call 519.886.9690.
Sept. 23 (Sun.) 7:30 p.m. – Ecumenical prayer service with Taizé songs at Erb Street Mennonite Church, 131 Erb Street West, Waterloo.
Sept. 24 (Mon.) or 25 (Tues.) – Fall Seniors’ Retreat at Hidden Acres. Guest speaker: Bryan Moyer Suderman. Brochures are on the table by the mailboxes or call 519.625.8602. Register by September 17th.
Sept. 25 (Tues.) 12 noon-2 p.m. – Seniors Kitchen Table conversation at Wilmot Mennonite Church. Topic: Our Neighbours, the Low German speaking population. Light lunch served. Suggested donation $10.
Sept. 26 (Wed.) 6:00- 7:30 p.m. – KidsLIFE begins! Children grades 1 – 6 are invited to come for an evening of fun, snacks, and Bible time. Talk to Ashley Drudge, Melissa Gingerich, Ryan Roth, or Pastor Myrna for more information, and register online at smchurch.ca.
Sept. 27 (Thurs.) 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. & 5-7:30 p.m. – Wilmot Family Resource Centre Poor Boy’s Luncheon at the New Hamburg Community Centre. Tickets: $8/person; $30/family (4 or more). Order by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 519.662.2731.
Sept. 29 (Sat.) 2-4 p.m. – Open House for the AL Lababidi newcomer family in the Fellowship Hall. It is an opportunity for Stonecroft/Steinmann volunteers, friends and anyone wanting to congratulate Fadi, Hayat, Tariq and new son Morad in honour of their one year anniversary of settlement in New Hamburg.
Sept. 29 (Sat.) – MCC Ride for Refuge. For more information call 519.745.8458 or email email@example.com.
Sept. 29 (Sat.) – FaithTech Talks event at Maxwell’s Concerts and Events, 35 University Ave. East, Waterloo. Tickets at eventbrite.ca.
Sept. 29 (Sat.) 4:00 p.m. – Canadian Foodgrains Bank Celebration at Wilmot Mennonite Church. Outdoor concert by Rescue Junction will be followed by a pulled pork supper. Tickets are $25. Call 519.634.5030 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sept. 30 (Sun.) – Timothy Epp, Associate Professor of Sociology at Redeemer University College and a member of the Mennonite Historical Society of Ontario, will present his research on the History of Black/Mennonite Interaction in Peel Township. He will share during Adult Sunday School and, following lunch, lead a bus tour of the numerous black settlements in the area. Bus tour departs SMC at 1:00 beginning in Glen Allan and proceeding through the communities of Macton, Wallenstein, Yatton, and former African Methodist Episcopal Churches in the area. The cost of the bus is $15.00 per person. Please join us and sign up as soon as possible, capacity of 48 people.
Oct. 13 (Sat.) – Empty Bowls for Haiti MCC fundraiser in the fellowship hall. Sittings at 5 & 7 p.m. Reserve by calling 519.745.8458 or online at emptybowlsforhaiti.eventbrite.ca.
1. Tumultuous Times: Canada and World War 1 – A Lecture Series to Commemorate the 100th Anniversary of the End of WWI. Hear from historians as they explore the military, social, cultural, and medical repercussions of World War I. Tuesdays in October at St. George’s Parish Hall from 10 a.m.–noon. Tickets are $20 for the entire lecture series, or $5 per lecture at the door. Tickets: 519.662.3450.
2. Office Admin. employment opportunity at Rockway Mennonite Church. See www.rockwaymc.ca or call 519.578.4900.
3. Save the Date! Steinmann Women’s Retreat has been booked for April 5/6, 2019 at Riverstone Retreat in Durham.
• Congratulations to Irene Bender who will be celebrating her 95th birthday on Tuesday, September 11th.
• A Mennonite Women’s Working Wednesday produced 33 comforters for MCC. WOW! Forty-one persons worked diligently to complete this task. At least three more members helped prepare tops even though they could not attend. Our successful day brought together people from Steinmann, St. Agatha, Shantz, Nith Valley and Tavistock Mennonite churches along with women from The Missionary Church and Be In Christ (formerly the Brethren In Christ Church.) We worked together towards one cause to provide “Comfort” to those experiencing disaster. Thank-you all!
REMEMBER IN PRAYER
• Bruce & Barb Schumm’s granddaughter, Lindley Barbara Rose, born to Kevin & Jayne, who will have heart surgery on Thursday, September 13 at Toronto Sick Kids Hospital.
• God’s blessings on Nyle Iutzi and Laura Ann Wagler, who were married on Saturday, September 8.
• Werner and Joanne DeJong, Alberta, as they teach short term, Sept. 9 to Jan. 10, 2019, at the Meserete Kristos College, Ethiopia.