November 25, 2018
Call to Worship
Here I am to worship
All who are thirsty
God of wonder
Prayer of Confession
I John 4.7-16
Open the eyes of my heart
Children’s Sunday School begins
A supervised nursery for children 5 and under is across from the washrooms. Supervisors: Chris Finnie, Jessie Gingerich. A quieter unsupervised nursery is available in Room 113 (office hallway).
Leading Us In Worship:
Preservice, offertory, postlude – Worship Team
Worship leader – Melody Steinman
Children’s time – Kim Lichti
Sermon – Colin McCartney, MCEC pastor with Connect Ministries in Toronto
Congregational prayer – Pastor Myrna Miller Dyck
10:30 a.m. – Children’s Christian education (preschool to grade 7).
Big idea: People of all nations are a part of God’s kingdom.
Parents please pick up your children from the south side of the gym at the end of Sunday school.
Arne Kennel will have crafts (jewelry, scarves, small carvings) for sale from African Christian Mission International in the hallway. Prices will be good but feel free to haggle.
Youth class: lower auditorium room # 004.
Adult class: Colin McCartney will be telling stories and leading a discussion. Meeting in the sanctuary.
Noon – Family gathering in the fellowship hall.
2:30 p.m. – Concert at the Detweiler Meeting House, 3445 Roseville Rd., Roseville. Celtic Frontier Christmas with The Fair Wind, featuring traditional folk music of England, Ireland, Scotland and Celtic music that can be found in early Canadian and American music. More information: Sam Steiner, 519.884.1040.
7:00 p.m. – Choir rehearsal.
7:30 p.m. – Ecumenical worship service with Taizé songs hosted at Waterloo North Mennonite Church, 100 Benjamin Road, Waterloo.
Monday – church office closed.
8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. – Library area and room 114 rented.
12 noon-2 p.m. – Seniors: The Kitchen Table. Meeting at Wilmot Mennonite Church. Topic: Wilmot Family Resource Centre. Light lunch served at noon. Suggested donation: $10.
7:00 p.m. – #Churchtoo Debrief gathering. A time to reflect on how sexual misconduct has affected us as individuals, communities and the church, and to ask questions on how we can make our church and communities safe places for everyone.
10:00 a.m. – Wilmot Ecumenical working group meeting in room 114.
7:00 p.m. – Book Launch at the Nithview Auditorium for Ruth Zehr’s latest book “Engaging with Life.” Reception and refreshments to follow in the Tearoom. See bulletin board.
Friday – Setting up the fellowship hall for the Christmas Banquet.
10 a.m.-3 p.m. – Christmas Craft Sale at the Wilmot Seniors’ Workshop, 27 Beck St., Baden. See bulletin board.
Intergenerational Community Christmas Dinner. Last day to sign up. Join us at 5:30 in the auditorium. Dinner will be served at 6:00 with a variety talent show following the meal. The dinner is by donation with all proceeds exceeding the cost of the meal going to the work of the Wilmot Family Resource Centre in our local community. This is a wonderful opportunity for you to reach out to your neighbours and friends who would appreciate the opportunity to enjoy a delicious meal and share in the joy of the Christmas season with us. Be sure to sign up and reserve your table space today. Members with surnames A-M please bring a salad and surnames N-Z bring desserts. Remember to bring extra for the guests who will be joining us for the evening.
9:30 a.m. – Preservice music
9:45 a.m. – Beginning of Advent—Epiphany (Dec. 2 – Jan. 6) worship series: The Lord is our righteousness
Advent 1: Watching & Waiting.
Scripture: Jeremiah 33:14-16; Psalm 25:1-10; 1 Thessalonians 3:9-13; Luke 21:25-36.
Speaker: Pastor Steve Drudge
Winter clothing and food offering for Christmas Hampers.
Membership reception: John & Dianne Gruhl.
10:30 a.m. – Children’s Christian education (preschool to grade 7)
MYF (High School)
Nov. 30 (Fri.) – Christmas Greens Fundraiser, delivery and pick up. Arrive at 5:45 p.m.
Dec. 14 (Fri.) – Movie Night
Nov. 28 (Wed.) 7:00 p.m. – Meeting at Arne & Sue Kennel’s. For more information call Marilyn Steinmann.
Nov. 29 (Thurs.) 6:30 p.m. – Women’s group meeting in room 004 (basement). Read chapter 4 of “Four Gifts.” For more information call Joy Wagler.
Nov. 29 (Thurs.) 7:30 p.m. – Video series “Truth Factor.” Meeting by the church library. For more information contact Wes Leis.
Dec. 5 (Wed.) 8:00 p.m. – Small group meets. For more information talk to Darryl Drudge.
Encounter the Christmas story a day at a time with your very own Advent Calendar for all ages, available in the main hallway and downstairs. One per family.
Dec. 5 (Wed.) Morning & Afternoon – All women are invited to the church to help knot comforters and quilt. This is our Christmas potluck. Bring food to share and your own tableware.
Dec. 7 (Fri.) 6:00 p.m. – SOSA Christian Singles will be celebrating Christmas with dinner at the Schmidtsville Restaurant in Wellesley. If you would like to attend please RSVP to Sandy at 519.662.2971.
Dec. 9 (Sun.) 3:00 p.m. – Menno Singers Christmas concert, “Incarnation” at St. Matthew’s Lutheran Church, 54 Benton St., Kitchener. Sacred music, readings and audience carols celebrating the birth of Christ. Tickets: $20 per adult, $5 per child/student and can be purchased from choristers, at the door and www.mennosingers.com.
Dec. 9 (Sun.) 7:30 p.m. (doors open at 7) – Area Mennonite Churches joint Christmas Choir Concert in the fellowship hall. Featuring five church choirs, mass choir, instrumentalists and carol singing. Freewill offering for Rohingya Refugee Crisis, project of Mennonite Central Committee.
Dec. 14 (Fri.) 7:00 p.m. – “O Night Divine” Celebrate the music and message of Christmas with the 20-voice strong Menno Youth Singers at Mannheim Mennonite Church. See poster on board.
Dec. 16 (Sun.) 3:00 p.m. – Menno Singers is sponsoring a Messiah Sing-a-Long with orchestra and university music student soloists at St. Jacobs Mennonite Church, 1310 King St. N. Bring your score and join your voice part, or come and listen to your favourite choruses. Attendance is by donation with tax receipts available for donations over $20. www.mennosingers.com.
1. Pastoral Care. If you are in a crisis and would like a pastor to come to your home or the hospital, please contact any pastor during the evening or weekend, or call the church office during office hours, Tuesday – Friday, 8 – 4:30.
2. Raise the Roof! If you have ideas, suggestions or interest in helping with the upcoming Roof Replacement Project, please speak to Ron Gingerich (Property) or Brandon Gingerich (Vision Focus Team) soon.
3. Accessibility Discussion: If you have a concern or idea to improve accessibility here at Steinmann church, please contact Brandon Gingerich or Sarah Winter.
4. Men save this date for the Men’s “Black Toque’s” retreat at Blue Mountain, January 27-29th. Questions: talk to Myron Wagler.
5. You can help with the Wilmot Family Resource Centre’s Christmas Hamper program. Please bring knitted winter clothing and food bank items to offer during worship on December 2 and 9. Sponsor a hamper: contact the Centre for a family profile. Cash assists with items needed to complete hampers. Volunteer to help prepare hampers. Call 519.662.2731.
6. Children’s Sunday school plans to record a congregational video recorded to a song for our Christmas project (lip dub). We plan on completing some of our recording before/during and after the service in the coming weeks.
7. Interested in attending Rockway Mennonite Collegiate or another Mennonite School or university? Fill out the online form by Nov. 30th or connect with Paulette West or Andrea Kennel for more information or to apply for some financial aid. https://goo.gl/forms/dkpABlVtkpvffiZY2
8. Vesper Springs Manor offers 25 affordable and some subsidized apartments for seniors in Baden. If you can serve on the board of directors please call 519.634.5872. See posting on bulletin board for more detail.
• A big thank you to all those who purchased Christmas Greens, we were able to raise over $500 for the MYF! Pick up your Greens on November 30th between 6:30 and 8 p.m. at the South Entrance.
• New Address: Nyle & Kathleen Hofstetter (Address is printed in the paper version of this bulletin)
REMEMBER IN PRAYER
• With thanksgiving, pray for continued faithfulness to Christ for John & Dianne Gruhl who have requested church membership.
• Dora Wagler, who is being treated for pneumonia.