January 6, 2019
Call to worship
Arise, your light is come SS 30
See whose glory fills the skies Voices Together
Worship the Lord in the beauty HWB 220
Walking this road to Bethlehem
What child is this HWB 215
with Helpless and hungry SS 26
Children’s Sunday School begins
O beautiful star of Bethlehem SS 32
A supervised nursery for children 5 and under is across from the washrooms. Supervisors: Shirley Dunford, Paulette West. A quieter unsupervised nursery is available in Room 113 (office hallway).
Leading Us In Worship:
Preservice, offertory – Sing The Journey
Worship leader – Ryan Roth
Song leader – Norma Iutzi
Pianist – Susan Seyler
Children’s time – Joy Wagler
Sermon – Pastor Myrna Miller Dyck
Congregational prayer – Pastor Steve Drudge
Coffee, tea & juice will be served in the fellowship hall following the service.
10:30 a.m. – Children’s Sunday School (preschool to grade 7).
Youth class: lower level room # 004.
Adult class: The Journey: Walking the Road to Jerusalem concludes with “The Holy Land Today” which introduces the current Palestinian/Israeli conflict and interviews a Palestinian teacher and a Jewish rabbi. Hear stories from people you know who have visited Palestine/Israel. Pray for peace. Meet in the south side of the fellowship hall. Facilitator: Pastor Steve Drudge.
Monday (church office closed)
Morning – setting up comforters and quilts.
Morning & Afternoon – All women are invited to the church to help quilt and knot comforters for Mennonite Central Committee. Bring a sack lunch. Beverages provided.
6:00 p.m. – KidsLIFE for grades 1-6
6:00 p.m. – Participate in a street walk with our youth that highlights 45 organizations in downtown Kitchener that assist people who live with poverty. See MYF announcement below for more details. Sign up in the main hallway or talk to Pastor Steve.
9:30 a.m. – Preservice music
9:45 a.m. – Practicing Faith, introducing an eight-week worship series of spiritual habits.
Scripture: Matthew 6:19-25, 33.
Speaker: Pastor Steve Drudge
10:30 – Children’s Christian education
11:15 – Adult Christian education
5-8 p.m. – Fellowship Hall rented.
MYF (High School)
Jan. 11 (Fri.) 6:00 p.m. – Street Walk in downtown Kitchener. Get a glimpse of the needs in the city as well as many of the organizations who serve people who are underhoused and underemployed. Dress for the weather. There will be an indoor washroom, water, and warm up break half way through. Meet at Ray of Hope parking lot via Stirling Lane behind 659 King St. East. Car pool from the church at 5:35 p.m.
Jan. 18 (Fri.) or 19 (Sat.) – Tubing at Chicopee.
Jan. 10 (Thurs.) 6:30 p.m. – Women’s group meeting in room 004. Read chapter 5 of “Four Gifts.” For more information call Joy Wagler.
Jan. 10 (Thurs.) 7:30 p.m. – Video series: “Truth Factor.” Discussing lesson 6. Meeting by the church library. For more information contact Wes Leis.
Jan. 16 (Wed.) 7:00 p.m. – Meeting at Janessa Otto’s. For more information call Marilyn Steinmann.
Jan. 16 (Wed.) 8:00 p.m. – Small group meets. For more information talk to Darryl Drudge.
Jan. 16 (Wed.) 7:00 p.m. – Vision Focus Team meets in room 114.
Jan. 18-20 (Fri.-Sun.) – Fathers & Kids Retreat at Silver Lake Mennonite Camp. Note: Father can be defined as any male adult role model or mentor. For more information and to register visit www.slmc.ca/retreats or call 519.422.3200.
Jan. 21 (Mon.) 5-8 p.m. – Blood Donor Clinic in the fellowship hall.
Jan. 26 (Sat.) morning – Core Teams meet.
Jan. 27 (Sun.) – ʹGuess Who’s Coming to Dinnerʹ Please sign up by the mailboxes to be a Host or a Guest for the noon meal. More details to follow. For questions contact Shirley Kennel.
Jan. 30 (Wed.) – First Jr. Youth event. More details to come.
Jan. 31 – Feb. 2 – Breslau Mennonite Church presents Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. Tickets for this church-wide musical on sale at breslaumc.ca.
Feb. 8-10 – Women’s Retreat at Silver Lake Mennonite Camp. A Wild Heart: living the paradox of love in our lives. Tanya Dyck Steinmann, pastor and spiritual director, offers times of worship, reflection and creative expression. For more information and to register visit www.slmc.ca/retreats or call 519.422.3200.
Feb. 9 (Sat.) 8:15 a.m. – Mennonite Women of Wilmot Cluster Winter Breakfast at Nith Valley Mennonite Church. Cost: $10 at the door. Sign-up sheet is by the mailboxes. See poster on bulletin board.
1. Bill C-262 is a national act of legislation before the senate asking the government of Canada to take all measures necessary to ensure that the laws of Canada are in harmony with the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.
Peace and Justice Committee is hosting a post card signing event during coffee time on Jan. 6 asking each of Canada’s senators to support this bill.
To learn more about the UN Declaration and Bill C262 visit htts://goo.gl/mWTFLh or www.declaratincoalition.com
2. Several black choir folders are missing. Please check your home if you have used one for readings or for music.
3. Menno Singers invites all singers to join Mennonite Mass Choir in a performance of Mendelssohn’s Hymn of Praise on Saturday, May 4 at St. Peter’s Lutheran Church, Kitchener with Waterloo Chamber Players and soloists Bethany Horst, Julie Ludwig and Adam Luther. Rehearsals are Monday evenings at 7:30 p.m. at First Mennonite Church, 800 King St E., Kitchener, beginning on March 11. You can register to sing at www.mennosingers.com.
4. The Jubilation Male Chorus is pleased to introduce our new Director of Music, Mr. Geraldo Wall. If you, or someone you know, enjoys singing in four-part male-voice harmony, we invite new singers to join us in this faith-based music ministry. We practice Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. at Waterloo-Kitchener United Mennonite Church, 15 George St., Waterloo. Next practice is January 9.
• Congratulations to Ervin Steinmann who will be celebrating his 89th birthday tomorrow, January 7th.
• Congratulations to Ethel & Elmer Zehr who will be celebrating their 66th wedding anniversary on Thursday, January 10th.