January 13, 2019
Call to worship (inspired by Psalm 63)
Lord, I am fondly, earnestly HWB 514
Just a closer walk with thee SJ 106
Lord, you sometimes speak HWB 594
Matthew 6:19-25, 33
Seek ye first the kingdom of God HWB 324 vs. 1
Take, O take me as I am SJ 81
Children’s Sunday School begins
We will walk with God SJ 78
A supervised nursery for children 5 and under is across from the washrooms. Supervisors: Elaine Finnie, Sarah Winter. A quieter unsupervised nursery is available in Room 113 (office hallway).
Leading Us In Worship:
Worship leader – Steve Wagler
Music leader – Sara Roth
Organist – Susan Seyler
Pianist – Delphine Schwartzentruber
Children’s time – Gladys Bender
Sermon – Pastor Steve Drudge
Congregational prayer – Sue Kennel
10:30 a.m. – Children’s Sunday School (preschool to grade 7).
Coffee, tea & juice will be served in the fellowship hall following the service.
Youth class: lower level room # 004.
Adult class: Panel on living spirituality. Meeting on the south side of the fellowship hall.
12:30 p.m. – fellowship hall rented.
Monday (church office closed)
12:30 p.m. – Free concert at Conrad Grebel Chapel with Bethany Horst, soprano and Mary Castello, piano.
7:00 p.m. – Vision Focus Team meets in room 114.
Friday – Sunday
Fathers & Kids Retreat at Silver Lake Mennonite Camp. Note: Father can be defined as any male adult role model or mentor. For more information and to register visit www.slmc.ca/retreats or call 519.422.3200.
8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. – Fellowship hall and kitchen rented for a Mennonite Church Eastern Canada Pastors, Chaplains, Congregational Leaders event.
9 a.m. – Single or Single Again will be going out for breakfast to My Place Restaurant in New Hamburg.
RSVP to: christian_singles@LIVE.CA
9:30 a.m. – Preservice music
9:45 a.m. – Practicing Faith, worship series of spiritual habits.
Prayer: Tuning In.
Scripture: Luke 11:1-13. Communion.
Speaker: Pastor Sara Erb
10:30 – Children’s Christian education
11:15 – Adult Christian education
Jan. 16 (Wed.) 7:00 p.m. – Meeting at Janessa Otto’s. For more information call Marilyn Steinmann.
Jan. 16 (Wed.) 8:00 p.m. – Small group meets. For more information talk to Darryl Drudge.
Jan. 24 (Thurs.) 6:30 p.m. – Women’s group meeting in room 004. Read chapter 6 of “Four Gifts.” For more information call Joy Wagler.
MYF (High School)
Jan. 18 (Fri.) 7 p.m. – Tubing at Chicopee. Cost: $25, food and drinks are extra. Please come prepared to be outside for a few hours – dress in layers!
Jan. 25 (Fri.) – Happy Studying!
Worship and Adult Education Series: Practicing faith
Over the next weeks we will be journeying through a variety of spiritual practices which help to draw each of us into a living relationship with God. Each week you will be encouraged to explore a practice related to that theme on your own. Hopefully, you will find a practice which you can engage with during Lent.
Jan 13 Practicing Faith, an Introduction
Worship: Matthew 6:19-25,33, Pastor Steve
Adult Ed: Panel on living spiritually
Jan 20 Prayer: Tuning In
Worship: Luke 11:1-13, Pastor Sara, Communion
Adult Ed: Prayer Practices
Jan 27 Hospitality: Reaching Outward, Drawing Inward
Worship: Luke 14:7-14. Reflections on Hospitality
Adult Ed: Reflections on Refugee Sponsorship
Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner
Feb 3 Gratitude: Giving Thanks
Worship: Luke 17:11-19, Pastor Steve
Adult Ed: Sherri Grosz from Abundance Canada
Feb 10 Scripture Study: Digging Deeply
Worship: John 5:39-40, Pastor Myrna
Adult Ed: Exploring Lectio Divina
Feb 17 Spiritual Companions: Walking Together
Worship: John 15:12-17, Pastor Steve
Adult Ed: Exploring our own Spiritual Shepherds
Feb 24 Fasting: Making Room
Worship: John 6:27-35, Pastor Sara
Adult Ed: Reflection and Prayer
Mar 3 Celebration: Enjoying Life
Annual General Meeting, Pastor Myrna
For a list of possible spiritual practices or a worksheet on the rule of life, see handout on the table by mailboxes.
Jan. 21 (Mon.) 5-8 p.m. – Blood Donor Clinic in the fellowship hall.
Jan. 25 (Fri.) 5:30 p.m. – Thank Goodness Its Friday. Dinner at 6 p.m. A great opportunity for families of young children to invite your neighbourhood friends to come along and enjoy an evening of fun, food, and fellowship. Confirm your participation to Darlene at the church office or Rick and Ardys Brenneman by Tuesday, January 22.
Jan. 26 (Sat.) morning – Core Teams meet.
Jan. 27 (Sun.) – ʹGuess Who’s Coming to Dinner.ʹ Please sign up by the mailboxes to be a Host or a Guest for the noon meal. More details to follow. For questions contact Shirley Kennel.
Jan. 30 (Wed.) – First Jr. Youth event. More details to come.
Feb. 8-10 – Women’s Retreat at Silver Lake Mennonite Camp. A Wild Heart: living the paradox of love in our lives. Tanya Dyck Steinmann, pastor and spiritual director, offers times of worship, reflection and creative expression. For more information and to register visit www.slmc.ca/retreats or call 519.422.3200.
Feb. 9 (Sat.) 8:15 a.m. – Mennonite Women of Wilmot Cluster Winter Breakfast at Nith Valley Mennonite Church. Cost: $10 at the door. Sign-up sheet is by the mailboxes. See poster on bulletin board.
March 9 (Sat.) 10 a.m.-5 p.m. – Explore Grebel and the University of Waterloo. See bulletin board or check out grebel.ca/futurestudents.
1. Several black choir folders are missing. Please check your home if you have used one for readings or for music.
2. Grebel Gallery Exhibit: Gichitwaawizi’igewin: Honouring. Artist Catherine Dallaire re-examines the original Indigenous values and building understanding between Indigenous and non-Indigenous worldviews. See poster on bulletin board for more details.
3. Join Dr. Irma Fast Dueck at Conrad Grebel University College for the 2019 Bechtel lectures as she addresses the topic of “Take me to the Waters: Baptism, Commitment, and the Church.” She will deliver a lecture on Thursday, February 7 at 7:30 p.m. titled “Like a Fish in Water: Reclaiming Baptism in an Anabaptist Church,” and will facilitate a youth panel discussion on Friday, February 8 at 7:30 p.m. on the topic of “Taking the Plunge: Young Adults and the Church.” Learn more at grebel.ca/bechtel
4. Looking for a summer job? Check out Hidden Acres. For more information or to apply, go to www.hiddenacres.ca or contact Chris Pot at 519.625.8602 or email@example.com.
• Dear congregants,
I am announcing my retirement as a Registered Nurse effective Jan. 1, 2019. As a result I cannot legally be called a Parish Nurse. In Ontario, one must be an RN to be a Parish Nurse. I plan to continue to help with the prayer shawl ministry and am willing to share advice as a health advocate. I hope there will be a younger RN who might consider this role. Sincerely, Ardys Brenneman
• Congratulations to Robena Gerber who will be celebrating her 91st birthday on Friday, January 18th.
• Thank you for all the prayers, words of encouragement, meals and cards over the last year. All the support was very much appreciated!! With Gratitude, Scott & Wendy, Brieanna, Tyson Wagler
REMEMBER IN PRAYER
• Pray for Friedenshaus as it promotes relationship building and a culture of peace in Ludwigshafen, Germany through language classes, quilting, homework help and potluck meals.