February 3, 2019
Focus statement: A posture of gratitude orients us toward Jesus and the transformation he works in our lives.
Call to worship (based on Philippians 4:4-7)
I owe the Lord a morning song HWB 651
O sing to the Lord SJ 12
Why should I feel discouraged SJ 103
Rain Down SJ 49
Children’s Sunday School begins
Lord of all good SJ 60
In the Lord I’ll be ever thankful
A supervised nursery for children 5 and under is across from the washrooms. Supervisors: Brandon Gingerich, Ashley Drudge. A quieter unsupervised nursery is available in Room 113 (office hallway).
Leading Us In Worship:
Preservice, offertory, postlude – Ben Winter
Worship leaders – Shirley Kennel, Nicholas Satchell
Song leader – Norma Iutzi
Accompanists – Pastor Sara Erb, Susan Seyler
Children’s time – Pam Carter
Sermon – Pastor Steve Drudge
Congregational prayer – Shirley Kennel
Gratitude moment – Sherri Grosz, Abundance Canada
10:30 a.m. – Children’s Sunday School (preschool to grade 7). Will be in the gym today.
Coffee, tea & juice will be served in the fellowship hall following the service.
Youth class: lower level room # 004.
Adult class: Sherri Grosz from Abundance Canada. Meeting in the sanctuary.
Monday (church office closed)
Tuesday – setting up comforters and quilts by the library.
Morning & Afternoon – All women are invited to the church to help quilt and knot comforters. Bring a sack lunch. Beverages provided.
10:30 a.m. – Rental ad hoc committee meeting.
12:30 p.m. – Free noon hour concert at the Grebel Chapel. Piano—Steven Vanhauwaert.
6:00 – 7:30 p.m. – KidsLIFE for children grade 1-6.
7:00 p.m. – Healthy Relationship and Boundaries adhoc committee.
Friday – Sunday
Women’s Retreat at Silver Lake Mennonite Camp. For more information and to register visit www.slmc.ca/retreats or call 519.422.3200.
8:15 a.m. – Mennonite Women of Wilmot Cluster Winter Breakfast at Nith Valley Mennonite Church. Cost: $10 at the door. Sign-up sheet is by the mailboxes. See poster on bulletin board.
9:30 a.m. – Mennonite Coalition for Refugee Support Annual General Meeting at The Studio at Centre in the Square, 101 Queen St., N. Kitchener. Speaker: Keith MacMillan, Staff Lawyer at the Hamilton Refugee Law Office. Register: www.eventbrite.ca search for MCRS 2019 AGM
7:30 p.m. – Menno Singers concert, “Emancipation” at Trillium Lutheran, 22 Willow St., Waterloo. Tickets: $20/adult, $5/child/student and can be purchased at the door. See bulletin board.
9:30 a.m. – Preservice music
9:45 a.m. – Practicing Faith, worship series of spiritual habits. Psalm 19:7-10, Psalm 23.
Sermon: Pastor Myrna Miller Dyck
10:30 – Children’s Christian education
11:15 – Adult Christian education
Noon Potluck – Soup, Sandwiches & Sweets. Make the winter days a bit better with a warm bowl of soup! Potlucks sponsored by the Care Team. Please bring your own tableware and food to share.
Feb. 7 (Thurs.) 6:30 p.m. – Women’s group meeting in room 004.
Read chapter 7 of “Four Gifts.” For more information call Joy Wagler.
Feb. 13 (Wed.) 7:00 p.m. – Meeting at the Miller Dyck residence. For more information call Marilyn Steinmann.
Feb. 13 (Wed.) 8:00 p.m. – Small group meets. For more information talk to Darryl Drudge.
Worship and Adult Education Series: Practicing faith
Over the next weeks we will be journeying through a variety of spiritual practices which help to draw each of us into a living relationship with God. Each week you will be encouraged to explore a practice related to that theme on your own. Hopefully, you will find a practice which you can engage with during Lent.
Jan 13 Practicing Faith, an Introduction
Worship: Matthew 6:19-25,33, Pastor Steve
Adult Ed: Panel on living spiritually
Jan 20 Prayer: Tuning In
Worship: Luke 11:1-13, Pastor Sara, Communion
Adult Ed: Prayer Practices
Jan 27 Hospitality: Reaching Outward, Drawing Inward
Worship: Luke 14:7-14. Reflections on Hospitality
Adult Ed: Reflections on Refugee Sponsorship
Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner
Feb 3 Gratitude: Giving Thanks
Worship: Luke 17:11-19, Pastor Steve
Adult Ed: Sherri Grosz from Abundance Canada
Feb 10 Scripture Study: Digging Deeply
Worship: John 5:39-40, Pastor Myrna
Adult Ed: Exploring Lectio Divina
Feb 17 Spiritual Companions: Walking Together
Worship: John 15:12-17, Pastor Steve
Adult Ed: Exploring our own Spiritual Shepherds
Feb 24 Fasting: Making Room
Worship: John 6:27-35, Pastor Sara
Adult Ed: Reflection and Prayer
Mar 3 Celebration: Enjoying Life
Annual General Meeting, Pastor Myrna
For a list of possible spiritual practices or a worksheet on the rule of life, see handout on the table by mailboxes or go to goo.gl/ThRnNi .
MYF (High School)
Feb. 8 (Fri.) – Skating. Watch email for details.
Feb. 22 (Fri.) 7-9:30 p.m. – Square Dancing at W-O.
Feb. 11 (Mon.) 9-11:30 a.m. – Volunteers needed to help cut rags at the New Hamburg Thrift Shop.
Feb. 14 (Thurs.) 7-9 p.m. – Celebrating Love: In our relationships, families and friendships at The Jazz Room, Waterloo. Music, appetizers, and good company. Dinner and beverages available for purchase. Hosted by Shalom Counselling Services. Tickets: $20. Call 519.886.9690 or www.shalomcounselling.org/love.
Feb. 16 (Sat.) 6:00 p.m. – Single or Single Again, will be celebrating Valentine’s Day by going out to Scran & Dram in New Hamburg. To RSVP or for more info call Sandy @ 519.662.2971.
Feb. 17 (Sun.) Noon Potluck: Family recipes. Celebrate Family Day by making food from recipes handed down from your parents and grandparents. Potluck sponsored by the Care Team. Please bring your own tableware and food to share.
Feb. 18 (Mon.) 10 a.m.-3:30 p.m. – Free Family Day Open House at Hidden Acres. Outdoor and indoor activities. Choose a hot lunch for $3/person or bring a bagged lunch (peanut-free). RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 519.625.8602. See poster.
Feb. 19 (Tues.) 7:30 p.m. – Mennonite Schools and Leadership committee meeting.
Feb. 21 (Thurs.) 5:30 p.m. – Conrad Grebel invites Grade 10 students to attend the University of Waterloo Grade 10 Family Night. Email email@example.com by Thursday, February 14.
Feb. 21 & 28 (Thurs.) 7:30-9:30 p.m. – Labyrinth Introduction Workshops led by Patricia Wagler at the Ernie Ritz room, 121 Huron St., New Hamburg. Cost $14/workshop or $25/for both. Register: email firstname.lastname@example.org or call/text 226.220.2606. See bulletin board.
March 1 (Fri.) 6:45 p.m. – Church Bowling at Riverside Lanes, New Hamburg. Sign-up sheet is by the church mailboxes. Cost: $9/game and includes shoes.
1. Serenades for Sam: Music has a powerful effect on the brain. It can promote pain reduction, stress relief and memory skills. Consider supporting “Serenades for Sam,” a project named after Sam Gingerich, who experienced tangible benefits from music while in hospital. Let’s bring the power of music to others affected by stroke and brain injuries! Donations will help compensate John Wiebe for his work providing music to patients. If you wish to contribute, contact Lynn Yantzi: 519.662.2580 or email email@example.com.
2. Hidden Acres Mennonite Camp Bowl-a-thon fundraiser. Anthony Helmuth will be collecting donations.
3. Join Dr. Irma Fast Dueck at Grebel as she addresses the topic of “Take me to the Waters: Baptism, Commitment, and the Church.” Lecture on Thursday, Feb. 7 at 7:30 p.m. and will facilitate a youth panel discussion on Friday, Feb. 8 at 7:30 p.m. on “Taking the Plunge: Young Adults and the Church.” grebel.ca/bechtel
4. Some of you have taken time to colour the mandalas on the front of the bulletin during our Practicing Faith series. You are invited to hang them in the hall so that all of us can benefit from the beauty that this practice can produce. – Ad hoc worship planning committee
5. To donate to the House of Friendship Potato Blitz call Shelley at 519.742.8327 ext. 131 or www.houseoffriendship.org. See bulletin board for more details.
6. Save the Date! Steinmann Women’s Retreat has been booked for April 5/6, 2019 at Riverstone Retreat in Durham.
7. Job Posting – Steinmann Mennonite Church is looking for an Administrative Assistant, 4 days per week. Interested applicants can view the job description on our church website (smchurch.ca). Please submit a cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop off at church by Feb. 12, noon. Church office is open Tuesday through Friday, 8-4:30 p.m.
Considering baptism into Christ and his church? If you have questions or the intention, contact a pastor or care team member. We’re here to explore faith with you.
REMEMBER IN PRAYER
• Pray for Don Wagler, who is having surgery in Hamilton on Thursday.
• Mark Swartzentruber and family as they grieve the death of his father, Gerald. Funeral service was held this past Thursday.