December 30, 2018
Call to worship
Leader: The Word has become flesh; God now walks among us!
People: Through Jesus, God is fully made known.
Leader: All creation is renewed, experiencing the grace and truth of God,
through the birth and life of Jesus.
People: And all who believe are the children of God;
brought together to experience the unity of the whole
All: Praise be to God for the abundant love and shalom we now experience!
To us a Child of hope is born HWB 189
Good Christian friends, rejoice HWB 210
Scripture – Colossians 3:12-17
Love Revealed Reflection – Andrea Kennel
Love Revealed Reflections – Mark Scheerer, Helmi Wiebe
See Whose Glory Fills the Sky Voices Together
Praise the Lord, sing hallelujah HWB 50
An unsupervised nursery for children 5 and under is across from the washrooms and a quieter nursery is available in Room 113 (office hallway).
Leading Us In Worship:
Preservice, offertory, postlude – John Wiebe
Worship leader, congregational prayer – Gladys Bender
Song leader – Tim Miller Dyck
Pianist – Sara Erb
Organist – Jean Gingerich
Children’s time – David Martin
Reflections – Andrea Kennel, Mark Scheerer, Helmi Wiebe
Artwork – Helmi Wiebe
Coffee, tea & juice will be served in the fellowship hall following the service.
No Christian Education hour.
Noon – Family gathering in the fellowship hall.
Monday (church office closed)
Wendy will be in the office from 10:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m.
Tuesday – New Years Day (church office closed)
7:00 p.m. – Sing The Journey rehearsal in the sanctuary.
Friday & Saturday – MYF Lock-In
9:30 a.m. – Preservice music
9:45 a.m. – Epiphany
Scripture: Isaiah 60.1-6; Matthew 2.1-12.
Sermon: Pastor Myrna Miller Dyck
MYF (High School)
Jan. 4-5 (Fri.-Sat.) – Lock-In. Arrive 1 p.m. on Friday. Please bring: a wrapped gift, poutine topping, $5, games & snacks!
Jan. 11 (Fri.) 6:00 p.m. – Street Walk
Jan. 10 (Thurs.) 6:30 p.m. – Women’s group meeting in room 004. Read chapter 5 of “Four Gifts.” For more information call Joy Wagler.
Jan. 10 (Thurs.) 7:30 p.m. – Video series: “Truth Factor.” Discussing lesson 6. Meeting by the church library. For more information contact Wes Leis.
Jan. 16 (Wed.) 7:00 p.m. – Meeting at Janessa Otto’s. For more information call Marilyn Steinmann.
Jan. 16 (Wed.) 8:00 p.m. – Small group meets. For more information talk to Darryl Drudge.
Jan. 9 (Wed.) Morning & Afternoon – All women are invited to the church to help quilt and knot comforters for Mennonite Central Committee. Bring a sack lunch. Beverages provided.
Jan. 9 (Wed.) 6:00 p.m. – KidsLIFE for grades 1-6.
Jan. 11 (Fri.) 6:00 p.m. – Participate in a street walk with our youth that highlights 45 organizations in downtown Kitchener that serve people who are under housed, underemployed, etc. Dress for the weather. Indoor washroom, water and warm up break at the half way point. Meet at Ray of Hope parking lot via Stirling Lane behind 659 King St. E. Car pool from the church at 5:35 p.m. Contact Pastor Steve to sign up or for more details.
Jan. 16 (Wed.) 7:00 p.m. – Vision Focus Team meets in room 114.
Jan. 18-20 (Fri.-Sun.) – Fathers & Kids Retreat at Silver Lake Mennonite Camp. Note: Father can be defined as any male adult role model or mentor. For more information and to register visit www.slmc.ca/retreats or call 519.422.3200.
Jan. 21 (Mon.) 5-8 p.m. – Blood Donor Clinic in the fellowship hall.
Jan. 26 (Sat.) morning – Core Teams meet.
Jan. 27 (Sun.) – ʹGuess Who’s Coming to Dinner.ʹ Please sign up by the mailboxes to be a Host or a Guest for the noon meal. More details to follow. For questions contact Shirley Kennel.
Jan. 30 (Wed.) – First Jr. Youth event. More details to come.
Jan. 31 – Feb. 2 – Breslau Mennonite Church presents Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. Tickets for this church-wide musical on sale at breslaumc.ca.
1. Bill C-262 is a national act of legislation before the senate asking the government of Canada to take all measures necessary to ensure that the laws of Canada are in harmony with the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples. Peace and Justice Committee is hosting a post card signing event during coffee time on Jan. 6 asking each of Canada’s senators to support this bill. To learn more about the UN Declaration and Bill C262 visit htts://goo.gl/mWTFLh or www.declaratincoalition.com
2. Raise the Roof! If you have ideas, suggestions or interest in helping with the upcoming Roof Replacement Project, please speak to Ron Gingerich (Property) or Brandon Gingerich (Vision Focus Team) soon.
3. Accessibility Discussion: If you have a concern or idea to improve accessibility here at Steinmann Church, please contact Brandon Gingerich or Sarah Winter.
4. The Hochma church, Montreal needs skilled volunteers to partition the basement, dry wall, paint, etc. If you can help please contact Keith Wagler or Pastor Steve.
5. New Hamburg Thrift Centre is looking to hire a full-time Assistant Manager—Retail and a part-time Retail and Warehouse Support Manager. mcco.ca and click on the getinolved/work with us tab.
6. Menno Singers invites all singers to join Mennonite Mass Choir in a performance of Mendelssohn’s Hymn of Praise on Saturday, May 4 (St Peter’s Lutheran Church, Kitchener) with Waterloo Chamber Players and soloists Bethany Horst, Julie Ludwig and Adam Luther. Rehearsals are Monday evenings at 7:30 p.m. at First Mennonite Church, 800 King St E., Kitchener, beginning on March 11. You can register to sing at www.mennosingers.com.
7. MCC is now accepting applications for SALT 2019-2020 placements! Serving and Learning Together (SALT) is a year long service experience for 18-30 year olds with one of MCC’s international partners. SALT service opportunities for 2019-2020 include placements such as tech support, public health, project management and childcare in over 50 different countries. Go to mcccanada.ca/salt to apply or contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
8. Hidden Acres is a long-established, year-round Christian ministry in Perth County. They are seeking an Executive Director to guide development of the overall ministry of the camp and oversee program, personnel, facility, public relations, fundraising, and administration. Deadline is February 6. For more information, visit the opportunities page on their website: www.hiddenacres.ca.
• Congratulations to Wallace Roth who will be celebrating his 87th birthday on Saturday, January 5th.
• Keith & Saundra Bast would like to say thanks for the prayers and concern we received when Keith had his heart attack. We feel blessed to be in such a supportive congregation.