December 23, 2018
Blessing and Restoration
O come, all ye faithful HWB 212
Call to worship
Hark! The glad sound HWB 184
Come thou long expected Jesus HWB 178
He is born the Divine Christ Child
My soul proclaims with wonder HWB 181
My soul is filled with joy SJ 13 vs. 1, 3-5
In the bleak mid-winter
Go, tell it on the mountain
An unsupervised nursery for children 5 and under is across from the washrooms and a quieter nursery is available in Room 113 (office hallway).
Leading Us In Worship:
Preservice, offertory, postlude – Instrumental Ensemble
Worship leader – Ryan Roth
Song leader, Ensemble director – Norma Iutzi
Accompanist – Grant Movold
Children’s time – Joanne Schwartzentruber
Sermon – Pastor Steve Drudge
Congregational prayer – Pastor Sara Erb
Artwork – Samantha Wagler
Coffee, tea & juice will be served in the fellowship hall following the service.
As a way of saying thanks to each one of you, please join us for treats in the fellowship hall after the worship service. – Pastors Myrna, Sara & Steve
No Christian Education hour.
6:30 p.m. – Christmas Eve Service
Tuesday – Christmas Day
Noon – Family Gathering in the fellowship hall.
9:30 a.m. – Preservice music
9:45 a.m. – First Sunday after Christmas Day. Love Revealed.
Bible background: 1 Samuel 2:18-20, 26; Psalm 148; Colossians 3:12-17; Luke 2:41
Reflections: Andrea Drudge, Mark Scheerer, Helmi Wiebe
Children’s time: David Martin
No Christian Education
Noon – Family gathering in the fellowship hall.
MYF (High School)
Dec. 29 (Sat.) 5:00-8:30 p.m. – Volunteering at Saturday Suppers helping to plate and serve a warm meal to those in the KW community. Please meet at Stirling Ave. Mennonite Church. Youth and families are invited to volunteer together. Please let Pastor Steve know if you are able to volunteer or have questions. Detailed job descriptions available upon request.
Jan. 4-5 (Fri.-Sat.) – MYF Lock-In. Arrive 1 p.m. on Friday. Please bring: a wrapped gift, poutine topping, $5, games & snacks!
Jan. 11 (Fri.) 6:00 p.m. – Street Walk
Jan. 10 (Thurs.) 6:30 p.m. – Women’s group meeting in room 004. Read chapter 5 of “Four Gifts.” For more information call Joy Wagler.
Jan. 10 (Thurs.) 7:30 p.m. – Video series: “Truth Factor.” Discussing lesson 6. Meeting by the church library. For more information contact Wes Leis.
Jan. 16 (Wed.) 7:00 p.m. – Meeting at Janessa Otto’s. For more information call Marilyn Steinmann.
Jan. 16 (Wed.) 8:00 p.m. – Small group meets. For more information talk to Darryl Drudge.
Jan. 9 (Wed.) Morning & Afternoon – All women are invited to the church to help quilt and knot comforters for MCC. Bring a sack lunch. Beverages provided.
Jan. 9 (Wed.) 6 p.m. – KidsLIFE for grades 1-6.
Jan. 16 (Wed.) 7:00 p.m. – Vision Focus Team meets in room 114.
Jan. 18-20 (Fri.-Sun.) – Fathers & Kids Retreat at Silver Lake Mennonite Camp. Note: Father can be defined as any male adult role model or mentor. For more information and to register visit www.slmc.ca/retreats or call 519.422.3200.
Jan. 21 (Mon.) 5-8 p.m. – Blood Donor Clinic in the fellowship hall.
Jan. 26 (Sat.) morning – Core Teams meet.
Jan. 30 (Wed.) – First Jr. Youth event. More details to come.
Jan. 31-Feb. 2 – Breslau Mennonite Church presents Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. Tickets for this church-wide musical on sale at breslaumc.ca.
1. Bill C-262 is a national act of legislation before the senate asking the government of Canada to take all measures necessary to ensure that the laws of Canada are in harmony with the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.
Peace and Justice Committee is hosting a post card signing event during coffee time on Jan. 6 asking each of Canada’s senators to support this bill.
To learn more about the UN Declaration and Bill C262 visit htts://goo.gl/mWTFLh or www.declaratincoalition.com
2. Raise the Roof! If you have ideas, suggestions or interest in helping with the upcoming Roof Replacement Project, please speak to Ron Gingerich (Property) or Brandon Gingerich (Vision Focus Team) soon.
3. Accessibility Discussion: If you have a concern or idea to improve accessibility here at Steinmann Church, please contact Brandon Gingerich or Sarah Winter.
4. The Hochma church, Montreal needs skilled volunteers to partition the basement, dry wall, paint, etc. If you can help please contact Keith Wagler or Pastor Steve.
5. Black Toques Men’s Retreat – Jan. 27-29. Last day to reserve your room. Sign the sheet by the mailboxes or talk to Myron Wagler.
6. New Hamburg Thrift Centre is looking to hire a full-time Assistant Manager—Retail and a part-time Retail and Warehouse Support Manager. mcco.ca and click on the getinolved/work with us tab.
7. Menno Singers invites all singers to join Mennonite Mass Choir in a performance of Mendelssohn’s Hymn of Praise on Saturday, May 4 (St Peter’s Lutheran Church, Kitchener) with Waterloo Chamber Players and soloists Bethany Horst, Julie Ludwig and Adam Luther. Rehearsals are Monday evenings at 7:30 p.m. at First Mennonite Church, 800 King St E., Kitchener, beginning on March 11. You can register to sing at www.mennosingers.com.
8. MCC is now accepting applications for SALT 2019-2020 placements! Serving and Learning Together (SALT) is a yearlong service experience for 18-30 year olds with one of MCC’s international partners. SALT service opportunities for 2019-2020 include placements such as tech support, public health, project management and childcare in over 50 different countries. Go to mcccanada.ca/salt to apply or contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
9. Hidden Acres is a long-established, year-round Christian ministry in Perth County. They are seeking an Executive Director to guide development of the overall ministry of the camp and oversee program, personnel, facility, public relations, fundraising, and administration. Deadline is February 6. For more information, visit the opportunities page on their website: www.hiddenacres.ca.
• Congratulations to Harold Swartzentruber who is celebrating his 83rd birthday today.
• Congratulations to Viola & Vernon Erb who will be celebrating their 60th Wedding Anniversary on Thursday, December 27th.
REMEMBER IN PRAYER
• Ken Boshart returned home from the hospital and is continuing to work with pain management. Thank you for your prayers.
• Continue to pray for Scott Wagler and his family as Scott returned home from the hospital on Monday and is continuing to heal from the second procedure for kidney cancer.
• Pray for folks experiencing incarceration, homelessness and poverty including Mennonite Central Committee Circle of Friends participants for whom this season can be lonely and painful.