December 16, 2018
Rejoicing in God’s Justice
Call to worship
With Mary Sing Magnificat (Voices Together leaflet)
Prepare Ye the Way of the Lord!
Children’s Sunday School begins
Poor of the Earth (Voices Together leaflet)
A supervised nursery for children 5 and under is across from the washrooms. Supervisors: Steve Carter, Brandon Gingerich. A quieter unsupervised nursery is available in Room 113 (office hallway).
Leading Us In Worship:
Preservice, offertory, postlude – Worship Team
Worship leader & service planner – Gladys Bender
John the Baptist – Tim Miller Dyck
Lip Dub created by children of SMC, Ashley Drudge, Elaine Finnie, Jessie Gingerich
Children’s time – Pam Carter
Reader’s theatre – Adam Roth, Nicholas Satchell, Tyson Wagler
Sermon – Pastor Sara Erb
Congregational prayer – Pastor Steve Drudge
Artwork – Reta Bender
10:30 a.m. – Children’s Christian education (preschool to grade 7). Big idea: Let’s worship King Jesus.
11:00 a.m. – Choir meet downstairs with the children.
Youth class: lower level room # 004.
Adult class: We will continue our viewing and discussion of the DVD The Journey. Please meet promptly at 11:15 in the south side of the auditorium. The facilitator this week is Suzanne Bender.
12:30 p.m. – Family Gathering in the fellowship hall.
3:00 p.m. – Menno Singers is sponsoring a Messiah Sing-a-Long with orchestra and university music student soloists at St. Jacobs Mennonite Church, 1310 King St. N. Bring your score and join your voice part, or come and listen to your favourite choruses. Attendance is by donation with tax receipts available for donations over $20. www.mennosingers.com.
Monday – church office closed.
12 noon – 2 p.m. – Wilmot Mennonite Church The Kitchen Table. Light lunch, conversation and friendship. Topic: Christmas Stories and Songs. Suggested donation of $10.
7:00 p.m. – Choir rehearsal followed by party at the Seyler home. Bring finger foods to share.
7:00 p.m. – Advent Jazz Vesper service at Conrad Grebel University College Chapel. All are welcome.
Christmas Caroling. Be ready to head out in the winter weather to sing Christmas Carols by 6 p.m. at the Vandermolens, 78 Waterloo Street, New Hamburg. We will gather back together for some hot chocolate on the porch! Dress warmly!
Longest Night of the Year Service at St. George’s Anglican Church, 3 Byron St., New Hamburg.
6:00 p.m. – soup supper
7:00 p.m. – Service of Lament and Hope. A time to acknowledge our losses and our grief.
See bulletin board for more details.
9:30 a.m. – Preservice music
9:45 a.m. – Advent 4. Mary’s Song: Blessing and Restoration.
Bible background: Micah 5:2-5a; Psalm 80:1-7; Hebrews 10:5-10; Luke 1:39-55
Speaker: Pastor Steve Drudge. Adult and children’s choir.
No Christian education.
MYF (High School)
Dec. 21 (Fri.) – Christmas Caroling and Christmas Movie. Be ready to head out in the winter weather to sing Christmas Carols by 6 p.m. at the Vandermolens, 78 Waterloo Street, New Hamburg. We will gather back together for some hot drinks and a Christmas movie!
Dec. 29 (Sat.) 5:00-8:30 p.m. – Volunteering at Saturday Suppers helping to plate and serve a warm meal to those in the KW community. Please meet at Stirling Ave. Mennonite Church. Youth and families are invited to volunteer together. Please let Pastor Steve know by Tuesday a.m. if you are able to volunteer or have questions. Detailed job descriptions available upon request.
Jan. 4-5 (Fri.-Sat.) – MYF Lock-In. Arrive 1 p.m. on Friday.
Dec. 19 (Wed.) 7:00 p.m. – Meeting at Karen Lebold’s for a Christmas gathering. For more info call Marilyn Steinmann.
Dec. 19 (Wed.) 8:00 p.m. – Small group meets. For more information talk to Darryl Drudge.
Jan. 10 (Thurs.) 7:30 p.m. – Video series: “Truth Factor.” Discussing lesson 6. Meeting by the church library. For more information contact Wes Leis.
Dec. 24 (Mon.) 6:30 p.m. – Christmas Eve Service
Jan. 9 (Wed.) 6 p.m. – KidsLIFE for grades 1-6.
Jan. 18-20 (Fri.-Sun.) – Fathers & Kids Retreat at Silver Lake Mennonite Camp. Note: Father can be defined as any male adult role model or mentor. For more information and to register visit www.slmc.ca/retreats or call 519.422.3200.
Jan. 31-Feb. 2 – Breslau Mennonite Church presents Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. Tickets for this church-wide musical on sale at breslaumc.ca.
1. Bill C-262 is a national act of legislation before the senate asking the government of Canada to take all measures necessary to ensure that the laws of Canada are in harmony with the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.
Peace and Justice Committee is hosting a post card signing event during coffee time on Jan. 6 asking each of Canada’s senators to support this bill.
To learn more about the UN Declaration and Bill C262 visit htts://goo.gl/mWTFLh or www.declaratincoalition.com
2. Raise the Roof! If you have ideas, suggestions or interest in helping with the upcoming Roof Replacement Project, please speak to Ron Gingerich (Property) or Brandon Gingerich (Vision Focus Team) soon.
3. Accessibility Discussion: If you have a concern or idea to improve accessibility here at Steinmann Church, please contact Brandon Gingerich or Sarah Winter.
4. The Hochma church, Montreal needs skilled volunteers to partition the basement, dry wall, paint etc. If you can help please contact Keith Wagler or Pastor Steve.
5. Men’s Black Toque winter retreat, Jan. 27-29. Sign-up sheet on the table between the mailboxes.
6. New Hamburg Thrift Centre is looking to hire a full-time Assistant Manager—Retail and a part-time Retail and Warehouse Support Manager. mcco.ca and click on the getinolved/work with us tab.
• I would like to thank everyone for the texts, emails, & visits over the last two weeks for my 60th birthday. Canada Post and I would also like to thank all of you for the “Card Shower;” the cards are still coming in daily. Turning 60 is not something I have been looking forward to, yet for someone who was not expected to come home for his first birthday I am so very grateful to have reached this milestone. It was also great to see your smiling faces as you all sang Happy Birthday over the web streaming last Sunday. Thanks to all, Larry Boshart
REMEMBER IN PRAYER
• Ken Boshart, who is at Grand River receiving care for pain management.
• Please continue to pray for Scott Wagler and his family as Scott is recovering from the second procedure for kidney cancer.
• At least 105 human rights leaders and members of vulnerable ethnic communities have been assassinated in Colombia over this past year. Pray for justice, peace and for all those who are grieving and for Christian Peacemaker Teams as they accompany those seeking nonviolent change.
• Pray for recipients of a container of resources from Mennonite Central Committee expected to arrive in Ukraine on Dec. 20.
• Pray the Christ followers in the Congo will remain united with Christ and each other in a politically divided country that is holding elections next week.