Steinmann Mennonite Church — Church Office Manager
Primary Supervisor– Pastor Assigned to Staff Support
Additional Direction – Pastoral Team, VFT Chair, Chair of Finance
Employment Accountability – Staff Support
The Church Office Manager is responsible for a wide variety of administrative duties in support of the Organizational Structure at Steinmann Mennonite Church including the Pastoral Team, Vision Focus Team, Information Technology (IT) team, various committees, church staff, and members of the congregation and surrounding community.
The Church Office Manager (COM) facilitates Church Finances under the leadership of the Finance Committee and interacts with the external bookkeeping service. The COM has reception duties in addition to more complex functions and services, such as scheduling and coordinating facility use and rentals, supporting our technology team, and minute-taking during meetings. The COM is expected to fulfill administrative duties such as maintaining information on church membership, creating weekly bulletins and other communication pieces for distribution to church members, supporting the organization’s ongoing updates to content on the website such as uploading bulletins, communicate with the IT team for other updates as needed. The Church Office Manager is also responsible for formatting, editing and circulating correspondence on behalf of Vision Focus Team & Pastors and other committees.
- Facilitate Church Finances with outside bookkeeping services
- Provide oversight of Rentals
- Support Pastors, Staff and VFT
- Support committees as needed
- Order office supplies
- Provide oversight of the annual Church calendar
- Coordinate Congregational Communications
- IT responsibilities to support Online Worship such as: SharePoint organization, video conversion, copyright, arranging music for online worship, uploading bulletin on website and handling late submissions as required
- Maintain up-to-date vulnerable sector checks
- Maintain up-to-date membership information in Breeze
- Manage Zoom meeting calendar and support Zoom needs
Job Duties Summary
- Facilitate Church Finances under the leadership of the Finance Committee
- Serve as primary liaison for providing income and expense and other financial information to the external bookkeeping service as per the Financial Administration Protocol
- Act as one of the signing officers of the church for the issuing of cheques or release of electronic payments
- Manage onsite financial records and files
Respond to financial questions from staff or members by providing the information required or forward the inquiry to the bookkeeping service
- First point of contact for callers and visitors and expected to demonstrate the values of the SMC community as an ambassador of the church
- Church bulletin
- Receive announcements from pastors, volunteers, church members, community
- prepare bulletins for services, special occasions as requested (wedding, funerals, conference, etc.)
- Church Communications:
- Prepare weekly Caring & Connecting email
- Maintain church mailbox labels
- Distribute weekly publications, minutes, pamphlets, mailings. etc. in mailboxes when necessary or requested
- Send out weekly reminders to greeters and ushers of their responsibilities for the upcoming Sunday
- Update, prepare, and distribute phone directory annually
- Community Communications:
- Newspaper advertising
- Posters (as requested by Leadership, committees)
- Coordinate the Photography Committee
- Catalogue photos on computer
- Responsible to see that the congregational records (bulletins, minutes, letters, newsletters, report books and any other historical documents) are annually deposited in the Mennonite Archives of Ontario at Conrad Grebel College/University, Waterloo, Ontario in consultation with Pastors
- Forward birth, marriage, death information & updated addresses to Canadian Mennonite
- Submit office budget for Spending Plan
- Maintain accurate church records (both paper and digital)
- Assist Pastors with contacts for funerals (Property Management, Organist/Pianist, Trustees, Ushers/Greeters, Food Committee, AV Personnel, Funeral Home, Cemetery Caretaker)
- Provide direct administrative and office management support to all members of the Pastoral Team, Staff and Vision Focus team
- Generate report from Breeze database as requested (for example birthdays of persons 80 and older and 25th/50th and above anniversaries for publication in the bulletin)
- Process mail and email
- Coordinate social media, Facebook, Twitter (X), website, YouTube
- Keep a running document of motions and actions (VFT, congregational meetings)
- Keep an updated copy of the church information directory with data from the Breeze database
- Ensure that there are adequate office supplies
- Maintain humidifier for sanctuary piano
- Order Sunday School materials and supplies
- Record and distribute minutes for Vision Focus Team Chair or Pastor (meetings are considered work hours)
- Compile and prepare the Annual Meeting Report books
- Work closely with Pastors to help them effectively carry out the administration of the congregation’s program
- Prepare surveys as requested
- Ensure Safe Church Policy and sector checks are completed, and are up-to-date annually
- Assist Pastors as needed with preparation of multi-media materials for worship services
- Maintain operating manual, slate of volunteers, policy updates, job descriptions
- Track song usage, report to CCLI and One License, create copyright slides for worship, and maintain copyright subscriptions as required
- Other duties as required
- Provide support to the Cemetery Board. This requires a knowledge of the Bereavement Authority of Ontario (BAO). Also includes the annual renewal of the cemetery license as well as the requirements of the Cemetery Act.
- Administer the various services of the cemetery under the supervision of the Cemetery Board as per documented protocols.
- Prepare church facility rental and use schedules
- Administer rental arrangements including insurance, invoicing and payments
- Coordinate kitchen usage and schedule.
- Secure Facility Supervisors, and sound, video & livestream Technicians for rentals as required
- Distribute and track church fobs and keys
- Monitor security system & liaise with security company and Property Committee
- Facilitate the scheduling of maintenance and repairs as required
- Designate meeting rooms if required
- Coordinate logistical aspects of church programs, such as meetings, seminars, workshops, special projects, and events.
General Qualifications and Requirements
- Prior work or volunteer experience with a faith-based organization an asset
- Post-Secondary degree or diploma in Business or Office Administration, or an acceptable combination of education and progressively responsible experience.
- Five years of related work experience in office administration or management
- Able to write, edit and format moderately complex correspondence, including memos, letters, reports, etc.
- Hands-on experience with Microsoft applications, including M.S. Word, SharePoint, Publisher, spreadsheets (Excel), e-mail (Outlook), and presentation software such as PowerPoint
- Knowledge of Xsplit Broadcaster (live-stream) and Movavi video editor would be an asset.
- Excellent writing & editing skills, including proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- Efficient time management skills, multitasking skills, and the ability to prioritize tasks with minimal supervision.
- Exhibit a high level of sound and independent judgment, reasoning, confidentiality and discretion.
- Ability to interpret and implement organizational policies and procedures.
- A professional, responsive, and positive work attitude is essential.
- Previous experience in handling confidential or sensitive information; knowledge of applicable data privacy laws.
- General mathematical and budgeting skills.
- Knowledge of supplies, equipment, and/or service ordering, and inventory control of these items.
- Able to maintain filing systems and databases.
- Meticulous record keeping skills.
- Respectful telephone manners and strong interpersonal skills
Schedule and Hours
- Flexible hours per week 25-32 to be negotiated upon hire and may be adapted from time to time for the fulfillment of the duties.
- Typical office hours during the week, with Fridays notably important due to service preparation requirements.
- Flexibility for occasional evenings or weekends is sometimes required for responsibilities such as support for funerals, church events or meetings.