August 26, 2018
Call to worship
Psalm 92. 1-5 We plow the fields and scatter HWB 96
Joyful, joyful, we adore thee HWB 71
Open hymn sing
Open hymn sing
My shepherd will supply my need HWB 589
Oh, Lord have mercy SJ 47 v. 1, 2, 5
Praise God from whom HWB 118
Leading Us In Worship:
Worship leader – Suzanne Bender
Song leader – Sara Roth
Musicians – Jean Gingerich, Doris Martin, John Wiebe
Children’s time – Pam Carter
Congregational prayer – Pastor Myrna Miller Dyck
Coffee, tea & juice available in the fellowship hall following the service.
Offerings of coins will be accepted for Mennonite Central Committee’s Circles of Support and Accountability, which greatly reduces the odds of sexual offenders reoffending following release from prison.
5-8 p.m. – Blood Donor Clinic in the fellowship hall.
1:30-3 p.m. – Tea, coffee and conversation for seniors at Wilmot Mennonite Church. Topic: Dressing the Part: Religious Diversity in Canada.
4-7 p.m. – Wilmot Summer Market in the east parking lot.
7:30 p.m. – Children’s Sunday school teachers’ meeting.
Reminder— the service starting time will go back to 9:45
9:30 a.m. – Preservice music
9:45 a.m. – Scripture: Jonah 2:10 – 3:10.
Sermon: When love is difficult.
Speaker: Pastor Sara Erb
Sept. 7 (Fri.) 7:00 p.m. – Save the date. Family dinner potluck and planning at church. Please bring a main course to share.
Sept. 5 (Wed.) 9 a.m.-8 p.m. – Comforter Knotting Blitz for MCC. This includes men and children! If you can tie your shoes, you can tie a knot! We want to complete 25-35 comforters. Bring a friend, neighbour or family member with you. Urgently needed are persons to sew 60 x 80 tops. We have fabric for backs. For more information contact Ardys Brenneman. Bring your bag lunch.
Sept. 7-9 (Fri.-Sun.) – Hidden Acres Camp “Building Community Retreat” for individuals with disabilities, their families, friends and supporters. Topic: The Healing Power of Music. Register by August 31. Brochures are on the table by the mailboxes.
Sept. 18 (Tues.) 7:00 p.m. – You are invited to the Tri-County Mennonite Homes Annual Meeting at Avon Mennonite Church, 90 Greenwood Court, Stratford. Refreshments and fellowship will follow the meeting.
Sept. 20 (Thurs.) 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. – Courage for Caregivers retreat at Ignatius Jesuit Centre in Guelph. Cost: $75 (includes lunch and workbook). Register: www.eventbrite.com. For more information see bulletin board or talk to our Parish Nurse, Ardys Brenneman.
Sept. 24 (Mon.) or 25 (Tues.) – Fall Seniors’ Retreat at Hidden Acres. Guest speaker: Bryan Moyer Suderman. Theme: “Close Encounters of the Scriptural Kind – the delight, danger, and dynamism of reading the Bible with each other and with ʹthe other.ʹ” Brochures are on the table by the mailboxes or call 519.625.8602. Register by September 17th.
1. The next issue of The Communicator is in the works with a theme of One Step at a Time. Have something to share? Please email your submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org by Sept. 7th. If you prefer to receive The Communicator electronically, email email@example.com to have your email address added to the distribution list.
2. Forest Glen Public School Breakfast Club will be starting up again in September. Volunteers will be needed on Tuesday afternoons and Wednesday mornings. Please contact Paulette West or sign up by the church mailboxes.
3. Meserte Kristos College in Ethiopia trains church leaders for the fast growing Ethiopian Anabaptist Church. This Mennonite Church Eastern Canada supported work was introduced at the June Program meeting. Vision Focus Team, in their August meeting, motioned to disperse $2,000 in US funds to support the tuition for one student from the Mission Disbursement fund.
4. Menno Youth Singers is accepting new singers! The season begins Tuesday, Sept. 11th at Stirling Ave. Mennonite Church. If you are between 14 and 30 and like to sing, this is the place for you! See mennosingers.com/mys/ for registration and other information.
• Congratulations to Barbara Zehr who will be celebrating her 89th birthday on Monday, August 27th..
• Pastor Steve is on vacation August 27 to September 4th.
REMEMBER IN PRAYER
• Ken Boshart who has returned home to convalesce.
• Eilene Bender who is receiving care at Grand River Hospital.