April 7, 2019
Lent 5: We are hungry for freedom from shame
Call to worship
God of the earth, the sky, the sea HWB 53
Jesus, stand among us HWB 25
Come, ye disconsolate HWB 497
Prayer of confession
Ya hamalaLah SS 69
Words of assurance
John 8.1-11 and Psalm 40:12-15, 17
Here I am SJ 100
Children’s Sunday School begins
The peace of the earth be with you SJ 77
A supervised nursery for children 5 and under is across from the washrooms. Supervisors: Shirley Dunford, Brandon Gingerich.
A quieter unsupervised nursery is available in Room 113 (office hallway).
Leading Us In Worship:
Preservice, Offertory, Postlude— Grant Movold
Worship Leader—Janessa Otto
Sermon – Pastor Myrna Miller Dyck
Song leader – Sara Roth
Pianist – Grant Movold
Organist — Jean Gingerich
Children’s time – Pastor Sara Erb
Lent Worship Visuals: During Lent we are hungering for God’s wholeness and restoration. Our image of missing puzzle pieces draws us into that longing for wholeness. As we journey toward Easter we will also see how God puts us back together in new ways.
Coffee, tea & juice will be served in the north side of the fellowship hall following the service.
10:30 a.m. – Children’s Sunday School (preschool to grade 7). Parents please pick up your children from the gym.
11:15 – Adult Christian education. What I wish church taught me about sex. Meeting in the sanctuary.
Facilitator: Janessa Otto.
1:30 p.m. – A film production company will be parking 10 production trailers and staff cars on the lower church parking lot until late Monday night. On Monday staff cars will also be parked in the church’s parking lot.
3:00 p.m. at Knox Presbyterian, 51 Church St., Elora. Admission by donation with proceeds to Mennonite Coalition for Refugee Support (MCRS).
7:00 p.m. – Dessert with photos and stories of building 16 houses in El Salvador in February by Andrea Drudge and Steve Drudge.
Monday (church office closed)
7 p.m. – Gym rented
7:30 p.m. – Annual Meeting of the members of Amish Mennonite Fire & Storm Aid Union to be held at Faith Mennonite Church.
7 p.m. – Gym rented
Noon– Community Lenten Service & Lunch at Shantz Mennonite Church. A freewill offering will be accepted for the Canadian Bible Society and to cover the costs of the lunch.
2-3 p.m. or 7-8 p.m. – Free Estate Planning workshop at Futher-Franklin Funeral Home, Wellesley. See bulletin board.
8:30-11:00 a.m. – Peace and Justice Breakfast with Paul Born. Title: Deepening Community for a Happier Life and a Better World. Paul is the Co-Founder and Co-CEO of Tamarack Institute and the Founder and Director of Vibrant Communities. He is the author of four books, including two Canadian best sellers. www.nytimes.com/2019/04/04/opinion/canada-poverty-record.html Donations accepted toward the cost of breakfast and The Working Centre in Kitchener. Please sign-up on sheet in hallway or call the church office at 519.634.8311.
9 a.m.-3:30 p.m. – Women of Mennonite Church Eastern
Canada Spring Enrichment Day at Floradale Mennonite Church, 22 Florapine Rd., Floradale. Travelling Companions: we don’t know where we are going but we know how to get there! How do we remain centered and attuned to God’s voice in an unpredictable life? Resource person: Marilyn Rudy-Froese, MCEC Church Leadership Minister. Registration forms are on the table by the church mailboxes.
NEXT SUNDAY: PALM SUNDAY
9:30 a.m. – Preservice music
9:45 a.m. – Lent 6: We hunger for expressions of passion
Scripture: Mark 14:1-11.
Speaker: Pastor Steve Drudge
10:30 – Children’s Christian education
11:15 – Adult Christian education: Why a Safe Church Policy? What should I know? Kim Lichti and Gladys Bender will introduce you to the updated version. Check the “About Us” tab on the church website if you want to read the policy prior to this.
April 10 (Wed.) 6-8 p.m. – Mystery Supper at Sean & Jacquie East’s
YOUTH (High School)
April 12 (Fri.) – Escape Room, meet at church at 7:45pm. Please let us know ASAP if you can attend so we can fill out necessary forms.
Phoenix Fest (formerly Pitch and Praise) camping weekend May 17-20th. Deadline to register is April 18th, cost is $75. Please speak to a sponsor or Pastor Sara if you plan to attend.
April 10 (Wed.) 7:00 p.m. – Meeting at Don & Marilyn Steinmann’s. For more information call Marilyn Steinmann.
April 10 (Wed.) 8:00 p.m. – Small group meets. For more information talk to Darryl Drudge.
April11 (Thurs.) 6:00 p.m. – Women’s group meeting at the home of Carolyn Heyer for an appetizer / main course finger food potuck. Dessert will be provided. For info call Joy Wagler.
April 25 (Thurs.) 7:30 p.m. – Bible study meeting by the church library. For more information call Wes Leis.
April 15 (Mon.) or 16 (Tues.) – Spring Seniors’ Retreat at Hidden Acres Mennonite Camp. Speakers: Dave and Mary Lou Klassen. Topic: “The Many Faces of Africa.” Brochures are by the mailboxes. Register by April 8th. For more info call: 519.625.8602, webite: www.hiddenacres.ca.
April 22 ((Mon.) – 5 p.m. – 8 p.m. Blood Donor Clinic
April 26-27 (Fri.-Sat.) – MCEC Annual Church Gathering
April 27 (Sat.) 9 a.m.-2 p.m. – Interfaith Counselling Silent Auction Fundraiser at the Wilmot Recreation Centre. See poster.
1. Mennonite Central Committee with partner organizations is providing food, temporary shelter and other emergency supplies to cyclone devastated Malawi and Mozambique. Donations will be matched by the Canadian government (to a maximum of $2. m) until April 14.
2. Conrad Grebel University College is officially breaking ground for their Kitchen and Dining Room expansion on Tuesday, April 23 at 4:30 p.m.! To learn more about the project and the celebration go to grebel.ca/events.
3. During Children’s Time in Lent, we are exploring Circles of Grace together. This is a curriculum teaching us how to be a community modeling respect and faith, understanding the sacredness of who we are, and helping youth and children to identify uncomfortable situations before they become inappropriate. The Circle of Grace meditation encompasses who you are in your body, including your senses. It holds your mind, heart, soul, and sexuality. It reminds us that God is always with us, even in difficult situations. For further information on Circles of Grace: https://vimeo.com/207836764
4. Grace Lao Egg Roll sale. Sign up sheet on the table by the mailboxes. If you order egg rolls you are responsible for picking them up. Deadline for orders April 30th.
5. During June and July Mennonite Disaster Service is rebuilding for a family of five in Westport, Nfld. following a house fire. There is another opportunity in BC. If interested in serving for a week or longer, please contact email@example.com, Keith Wagler or Pastor Steve.
6. National Volunteer Week: April 7-13: Vision Focus Team wants to acknowledge and say a sincere Thank You to each and every person at Steinmann’s that volunteer their time and gifts to our Church and all that is offered at Steinmann Mennonite Church and in the communities we live in. We could not do it without you! Thank you!
• Congratulations to David Steinmann who is celebrating his 86th birthday on Thursday, April 11th and Olive Campbell who is celebrating her 81st birthday on Friday, April 12th.
• Thank you so much for the wonderful retirement celebration last Sunday. Your kind words, scrapbook, cards, flowers and pottery gift were and are very much appreciated. A very memorable day. Thank you. – Darlene Gingerich
REMEMBER IN PRAYER
• The Anabaptist Mennonite Biblical Seminary’s Presidential search committee as it meets April 13-14 to continue its work to hire the seminary’s next president. Pastor Myrna is a member of this committee.